The 2014 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid is an amazing automobile to drive and one is now up for grabs in a local fundraiser.
Fines Ford Lincoln in Bolton has supplied a 2014 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid for the Caring for Our Community lottery being held in support of Bethell Hospice. Only 10,000 tickets are being sold at $20 each. The winning ticket will be drawn at the Bolton Fall Fair Sept. 20.
“We were proud to be chosen to supply the Lincoln product,” remarked dealership proprietor Bob Fines.
Fines said this vehicle is unique in that the Lincoln Motor Company doesn’t charge a premium for the hybrid.
“That’s a big deal, just in terms of being green,” he said. “This is a stylish, up-to-date automobile.”
In simple terms, a hybrid is a car that runs on a blend of electric and gas power, with the gas being used in the way that is most efficient.
“It’s the most absolutely efficient use of a gas engine,” commented Aaron Cisco, Lincoln specialist at Fines.
In addition to the hybrid, the lucky winner of the fundraising draw will have all regularly scheduled maintenance covered for the first 24 months or 40,000 kilometres.
People who drive the car invariably like it. That was certainly the case with Jeannette Vanden Heuvel, director of development at Bethell Hospice.
“I love it,” she said. “It’s really nice.”
Vanden Heuvel said this fundraiser is being run in partnership with Rotary clubs throughout the area. In addition to being a fundraiser, Heuvel said this is part of an effort to make people aware of what hospice care is all about.
Bethell Hospice is a 10-bed facility in Inglewood that provides compassionate care and support to people diagnosed with a life-limiting illness, offering a warm and homelike environment when staying in a hospital or at home is no longer practical.
“People don’t ever think about it until they need it,” Vanden Heuvel observed, “and then they’re huge supporters.”
She said some 500 people have gone through the facility since it opened in April 2010, and more than 4,000 people have availed themselves of the bereavement support programs that are offered. She added, 60 per cent of the funding for the facility comes from government, meaning the Bethell Hospice Foundation has to raise the other 40 per cent to make sure they can continue to provide their services at no cost. That means they have to raise about $1 million annually, so efforts like the car draw are very helpful.
“It’s obviously a very, very, very important service, that only when needed, touches the hearts of family,” Fines commented, adding this is an opportunity for the community the step up and support this cause. “It’s the families that reap the most benefit.”
The Lincoln MKZ Hybrid has been seen at a number of community events over the last several weeks, and it will be showing up at others, such as the Canadian Open Old Time Fiddle Championship in Shelburne Aug. 6 to 10 and Midnight Madness in Bolton Aug. 15.
Tickets are available at Fines, Inglewood General Store, Broadway Farm’s Market on Heart Lake Road and Scotiabank branches in Bolton and Orangeville.
Written by Bill Rea