- Check your tire pressure-Maintaining the suggested tire pressure (as indicated on the door pillar or in glove box) will improve your fuel economy, as well as provide your vehicle with better handling. Tire pressure should be checked monthly, and more frequently in the warm weather as air expands when it get hot. Tires should also be rotated at scheduled intervals.
- Avoid overheating- high summer temperatures, and intense sunshine can cause your vehicle to overheat. It is very important to maintain fluid levels. Engine oil, engine coolant, windshield washer fluid, transmission fluid, brake system, power steering system and differentials, are some of the fluids that should be checked regularly in the hot summer months- Especially if you are planning a road trip. Check the Serpentine Belt – A serpentine belt (drive belt) is used to supply power to the alternator or water pump. These belts must be replaced when signs of wear are present. If the belt fails, it will render your vehicle inoperable until the belt is replaced.
- Check your Safety Belt and Air Bag System – The safety systems in your car is designed to help prevent injury in the event of an accident. To check test the air bag safety system, turn the key to start the engine and allow the vehicle to idle. The air bag warning light should go on for about five seconds and then go out. If the air bag warning light stays illuminated the system has shut down.
Seat belts should also be checked on a regular basis. To check this, you should pull the belt out completely, and inspect the belt material for defects, tears or burn marks. Next check the retraction of the belt- it should retract fully with no rough or weak spots. Replace any seat belt that is damaged or shows signs of wear.
- Check the Horn, Headlight and External Lighting Systems – The lights in and around your vehicle are not only for convenience, but also for safety. All lights on your vehicle should be working at all times. It is against the law for any exterior lights on your car not to be working. Check your vehicle regularly to insure the proper operation for your lights (inside and outside).
- Replace your Wiper Blades – In foul weather it is essential to have new wiper blades to ensure proper windshield vision and control of your car. Wiper blades should be checked regularly through the summertime, as the intense sunshine and heat cause the rubber on the blades to dry up, change shape and lose their grip against the windshield.